Lake Closed until further notice!!!
Blue green algae is in the lake and it tested positive for being toxic. Lake County water management unit came out and took water samples on July 13. The quick test showed mycrocystin present in amounts greater than 10 micrograms per unit. Further testing will be done by the state and the results will be back in several days. They recommended closing the lake until further notice.
The blue green algae may cause skin rashes so wash with soap and water if contact is made. If ingested vomiting and/or diarrhea may occur. Keep all pets away from the water too and rinse them immediately. Vomiting and diarrhea will be seen in pets too if they drink the water. Do not let pets drink the water! If your pet experiences these symptoms after drinking the water take them to the vet and let them know they drank blue green algae.
For more information visit http://www.epa.illinois.gov/topics/water-quality/monitoring/algal-bloom/index